facebook pinterest instagram

Monday, February 13, 2012

Mumbo Jumbo Mondays - Hulling

Oh I've been so neglectful of my blog lately, its actually hard enough to just remember to keep up the mumbo jumbo-ness on  a Monday, let alone post an actual recipe with photos!!! I have still been cooking, just not posting about it! I seem to be rather preoccupied with little internal kicks and everything that goes along with that. I will post some actual food soon....

Until then... Hulling! I had to Hull on the weekend for some cupcakes I was making, and had to look up what it meant, so it was fresh in my mind for today!

It's very basic, but just with a fancy name! Strawberries need hulling, as in, taking the green leafy tops out, along with the hard white core that the less ripe strawbs have. If a strawberry is ripe, often there isn't much of a core to take out and you simply take the tops off.

To a hull a strawberry, you place the knife in the top of the strawberry and kind of drill around the leafy top section, forming a bit of a cone shape. If you find there's still a lot of white, hard bits in the strawberry, scoop a little more out with your knife!

That's all there is to it!

The recipe I used it for was for strawberry daiquiri cupcakes.....will post about it soon.....promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment